Saturday, April 24, 2010

Just a Flutter By
colored pencil on hot press
blow down
The tree is more than twice as long what is shown....a long, tall pine
destroyed by the pine beetle infest killing our beautiful trees.
the two dead trees behind it were taken out as well
Our big Cband dish is showing...I loved to watch it slowly turn, scanning the infinite starry skies, looking for......
my soaps...haha
(It searched for aliens, too, in its spare time)

wild and windy today....Very often our weather is like coast weather....many clouds caught in the hills surrounding the town....sun and wind....we're really not far from the coast, if we were allowed to drive straight through the wilderness area instead of looping down through California.
I've been digging in my garden......and every spadeful turns over earthworms and snails. This wasn't always so.......When we first came here the soil had no humus and was hard as a rock....nothing would grow but trees...not even rhododendrons which thrive in the wild here in the NW. But, after years of spading in whatever mulch I used, the earthworms and snails moved in.
They say snails are a good sign and means the soil has plenty of calcium...it helps build their shells.
Yes, I like healthy snails to come out every morning and chomp on my plants. I can't put out snail bait because of the dogs.

But lately the dogs haven't been allowed in the garden because the blown down tree smashed so much of the fence.
We had the tree hauled away, along with 14 other dead pines, but the fence isn't dog proof yet.

3 comments:

  1. beautiful work!

    I'm jealous of your lovely yard! Even with the blown down tree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your sketches, Patricia! It has been fun to browse through your recent posts, as I haven't stopped in for awhile (my loss:>). I was especially taken with the sketch of the hanging nest, although your cats are super, too. Sorry to hear about pine beetles moving in. I hate to lose a tree and hope you don't lose any more. About the snails--when we lived in CA, we occasionally put out shallow dishes of beer (do I remember that we did that overnight?). Snails apparently like it, crawl in, and drown--worth a try perhaps.

    ReplyDelete