Friday, October 9, 2009


colored pencil on hot press watercolor paper
Wanda
This drawing is really twice as big...includes another window and much more of the couch, but I couldn't stand to put down one more pencil stroke I was so sick of it. I should know by now I cannot do big pieces...I don't have the patience...already I'm thinking about the next drawing and my fingers are itching to get at it....and my mind has left this one. After a couple of things are done...like the face and the folds...and they turn out ok, then the rest is just work. You don't think Michelangelo painted the whole Sistine Chapel do you? ha! He finished up those pesky cherub eyes and the peons filled in the rest....(hang around for more history facts)

When I was fifteen I had a cat named Cinderella. A few days before Cindy was to have her first litter of kittens she began looking for a place to have them. I thought it was curious and interesting how she went about it.
She searched every nook and cranny for the best nesting place. If I opened a dresser drawer and turned my back she'd be up in it, rooting around. "Oh, no you don't", I'd tell her, putting her back down on the floor. But if my bedroom was where she wanted to be, so be it, and I put a box, with a bit of a blanket, near the dresser.
But off she bounced to investigate the yard... flowery corners or dark caves under bushes.....and I followed with the nursery box. There didn't seem to be any pattern to the places she scoped out. And I patiently...well, scratch that...not so patiently followed with my box.
One day I came home from school...no Cindy...and I knew she had finally had her babies....I looked everywhere.....ev ver ree where.
It was my mother who finally found her. Cindy had those babies in an open keg of nails out in the garage....right on the nails!
Mommy and babies were just fine. We transferred them to the back porch, but she moved them again back to the garage... not the keg.
Eventually I won, and she stayed on the back porch.
She definitely was not the sharpest nail in the keg.

4 comments:

  1. Barnie had hers this year in the honey seperator in the barn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh I love this one, great colors. I so know what you mean about finishing a whole painting or drawing. I rarely finish anything because afterwards I don't do anything with it anyway, but stick it over on a pile of other half done drawings.

    Had her kittens on nails!!! WTH...that would hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to force myself to finish everything I've started. I do so reluctantly, a little bit at the time. I am always impatient to start the next piece and often do before the last one is finished, but still...I can't stand to have those other ones unfinished in my art folder. I'm compulsive that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good golly, your story made me giggle. Anyway, I love this piece cropped as you have it. I think more couch and window would be superfluous as Wanda is the star of the show here. Beautifully done, truly. I just so loved colored pencil pieces!

    ReplyDelete