Wednesday, October 14, 2009


colored pencil on lordyknowwhat
done many a year ago and never dated
This was done for a children's book I had in mind. Several...many postings ago I talked about some Canadian Geese I was privileged to help raise and I thought it would make a great story....I had tons of pix of the geese...and the story had a great beginning, middle, and end.
I did three illustrations and couldn't do any more.
I've always wanted to illustrate children's books and it was painful to finally realize I just didn't have the stick-to-it-iveness to do a big project. Well...sticking to it wasn't the problem...it was just total lack of interest...it just disappeared.
The babies' nest was ruined and the survivors hatched under a blackberry bush in the rain...after the eggs had rolled down a bank. This picture was to illustrate a bedraggled baby. I look at it now and want to get going on it again.
It's been at least ten years, and if I had finished only one picture a year I'd be almost done.
Like Gilda Radner said, "I base most of my fashion taste on what doesn't itch."..........hmm, naah, that doesn't fit.
How about when she said, "I'd much rather be a woman than a man. Woman get to wear cute clothes and be first rescued off a sinking ship."....nope...still not right.
How about, "Dreams are like paper, they tear so easily".

4 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous painting! I love that this little one made it, blackberry bushes and all! I've always wanted to write and illustrate a book myself. Alas, I lack the talent for both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that it? You don't have the stick-to-it-ness? With a talent like yours, that is really a shame. There must be a project that you'd get really excited about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely! I like it a lot. I'm glad you kept it all this time. Now and then, I run across the beginnings of a few children's books that I tried to write years ago. Maybe we should have collaborated? But then, I don't have much stick-to-it-tive-ness either. I'm so easily bored! (Is that adult ADD? Hmmm?)

    ReplyDelete