Monday, September 21, 2009


colored pencil on something or other
done two years ago when Bingo was a pup and didn't have the feathers he has today...He was in the middle of obedience training, thus the command to "Stay" as he tries to step out of the picture.




Bingo today

up on my soap box, or blog box, with a little ranting. A friend of mine was walking her little chihuahua, Bingo, down the sidewalk. They passed a young girl sitting in her yard with her arms around her pet pit bull. She released an arm to wave and the dog dashed to the sidewalk and grabbed Bingo. Much screaming from everyone...Bingo was rescued and seemed ok....but the next day was shivering and giving little yelps when touched, so off to the vet where they discovered two puncture wounds and much bruising.


Next day my friend walked down the opposite side of the street. The mother came out and crossed to talk to her, giving her the standard pit bull owner rhetoric..."She's never done that before...She's so sweet...I'm amazed she would do that...I just don't know what happened.....blah blah blah.
It's so irresponsible to have a pit bull, not leased or fenced, in a residential neighborhood with people..and kids..walking by....(aside from the fact it's against the law.)
I read just the other day, some dog lover saying, "There's no such think as a bad dog, just a bad owner." That is so not true.
Hunting dogs hunt without being trained...retrievers retrieve, shepherds herd, and fighting dogs attack other dogs, period. They are bred that way and can't be trusted.
Ok, got that off my chest.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you and always stay well clear of the two pit bulls that live in my neighborhood when I walk my dog, even when they are on their leash. I just don't trust them and always expect an attack. You should see the way one of them strains at the leash to try to get at my dog. I think they should be outlawed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bingo is beautiful and I am so glad to know she is ok, in spite of that attack! I love the way you've captured her spirit in your painting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree with you.

    I love dogs, and have a little poodle, Joey. But, there are some dogs I just can't bring myself to trust, so I stay away from them. Even my little poodle puts the fear in some people, with his barking and growling.

    But, on the other hand, I had a Chow Chow that was the most gentle dog you would ever want to be around, never barked or growled at anyone, and the local children could play and roll around with him in the yard, and he loved it. She remained gentle all her life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowww Patricia..Bingo is so cute..You have painted her so beautifully. she has such innocent looks...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do not hate me...I disagree.

    I raised pitbulls for years and not for fighting. They played with my children and allowed them to dress them in clothes.

    To demostrate their gentleness, I would place a piece of meat between my teeth and give my pits permission to take it, which they did gently without ever touching any part of me.

    You must first teach a dog to stop before you teach it anything or you have lost control.

    I am sorry for your injury but if that had been a bad pit, there would have been no stopping it.

    There are no bad dogs, only bad trainers. Dog Whisperer is a fine example of training. He has pits with tiny dogs and there is no problem.

    If I have offended you, I am sorry but I just had to speak of my experience. In ten years of carrying mail, walking, I have been bitten by a poodle, a pom and a peke...no pits.

    ReplyDelete