Friday, August 14, 2009

31,
Had an adventure today. I was in the dog kennels washing out their water pails when I tripped on the hose and fell down.
Shock...pain...Sally took off, but Bekka stayed and barked and growled...she was locked behind a gate so she had freedom to the yard but not to me.
I lay there tensing this muscle and that...trying to determine the damage....nothing broken.
I just leaned against the fence, still gasping...hose running all over the place, when it dawned on me I couldn't get up.
First time in my life that I fell and was helpless.
First shock...pity...desperation, and finally anger.
Jack wasn't home.
Usually I get on my knees and get up, but my knees were scraped, bleeding, and bruised and one was already double size. And, there was no grass...only concrete and gravel.
A bleeding gash on my arm...from the fence, I guess, though I don't know how.
Everything hurt...ankles, wrists, shoulders, side. What in the devil was I going to do...
I decided to get to the front porch steps. I knew I could turn backwards and hoist myself up on the first step with my arms, grab the rail and stand up....but the steps were across the yard....gravel driveway all the way.
Ok...just do it!
I fanny bumped my self along...the heels of my hands bleeding from the rocks...my clothes slowly shredding.
shut up and just do it!
bump...slide...bump...slide...
Four feet from the step, and Jack pulled into the driveway.
There I sat in the middle of the driveway smiling at him...(to show absolutely nothing was wrong, just bumping along for the fun of it....dang...I had wanted to be on my feet and cleaned up when he got home.
Funny how much worse you feel with sympathy....
We got into the house, pulled off my wet, dirty, torn clothes...grabbed a clean mumu and the disinfectant and a towel...and collapsed into a chair.
He brought me a full glass of wine.
That was four hours ago and oh my...my nose is the only place not aching...but I am so happy nothing was broken.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, my word! I'm always afraid of something like this happening. I'm sure you're thrilled that no one got this on video... although your account is almost as good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy I know what that is like to be stranded alone down in the dirt, or shall we say gravel in this case. I am glad nothing is broken and sorry to hear you taken a fall, I wish you to heal soon from all of your little aches and pains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at the bright side: It wasn't winter! So sorry to hear about your fall. I hope all the boo, boo, are healing nicely. Your account of your experience brought a smile to my face. Sorry to enjoy your fall, at least I didn't feel the pain. LOL....

    ReplyDelete