Monday, August 10, 2009


cradle boards are art work to me, and to many Native Americans. I started a color book of the different styles...but the book was longer than my span of attention so it languishes, crying to be finished.

This drawing isn't typical of the color book drawings...they are straight line drawings with designs to color.

I contacted Martha Berry, a Cherokee bead work artist for information and she told me that the Cherokees didn't use cradle boards...interesting. I haven't looked into how they contained their babies but will.

I like the idea of making everyday utensils artwork. Harpoons and kayak paddles decorated with charms for good hunting...cradleboards with beadwork beckoning the good spirits. Everyday clothing made of bright colors and designs....not cool, I guess.




2 comments: