Wednesday, July 1, 2009

11.
Rudbeckia
Gloriosa Daisy
Blackeyed Susan
Family: Asteraceae...(ass-ter-AY-see-ee)
doesn't that word just roll off your tongue...love it
ass ter AY see ee ass ter AY see ee ass ter AY see ee
poisonous


A big bold in your face flower. So satisfying to grow.



Grows in tall, intensely yellow flower clumps that attract butterflies.
I will always have these beauties in my garden.
butterfly on blossom

These flowers grow wild in almost every state. I saw my first blackeyed susans in Michigan when I was five. My mother stopped the car so I could pick some, but they were too tough to pick.
When my mother told me its name I liked it because I have a cousin Suzanne. I asked my mother if there was a flower named after me, Patsy. I was very disappointed...irked..that there wasn't. Just who was in charge of naming flowers anyway.
My cousin Susie has dark brown eyes like this gorgeous plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment